Surgical and Laboratory Facilities
The Meopham Veterinary Hospital houses a modern laboratory with external quality control. This allows for rapid reporting of results. Examples of the laboratory services include:
- Blood tests for haematology and biochemistry
- Faecal testing for bacteria and parasites
- Virology for respiratory and other pathogens
- Skin examination for mites and ringworm
More complicated tests may be sent to a local specialist veterinary laboratory to ensure rapid results.
Minor surgical procedures may be performed at your premises or alternatively at the Meopham Veterinary Hospital. These procedures include those that may be carried out in the standing animal; either conscious or understanding sedation. In addition to this, we are able to rent the surgical facilities of a local veterinary practice to perform more complex procedures where general anaesthesia and sterile conditions are required. All of our large animal veterinary surgeons are able to perform common surgical procedures such as castration and wound management. More complex procedures may be performed by Martin Hobbs who has extensive surgical experience.
The following procedures are a few examples of surgeries we may perform:
- Standing castration
- Castration (pigs/calves)
- Caesarean sections (Bovine/Ovine)
- Digital amputation
- Castration under general anaesthetic. This includes castration of cryptorchid (rig) animals.
- Abdominal or umbilical hernia repair
- Dehorning and disbudding
- Fracture repair
- Tusk Removal
- Cancer surgery including skin tumour removal where appropriate.
- Wolf tooth and molar tooth removal
- Treatment for sinusitis
- Post traumatic wound management
- Ophthalmic surgery. Martin Hobbs has an RCVS certificate in ophthalmology and accepts referrals in this field.